new

the new, new


Hello, 


Out with the new and in with the old, anyone who knows me would describe me with this phrase. 
For my first post I thought I'd write about something that is me in every sense...
I am, and have always been a lover everything old, and by old I mean perfectly newly-old. 
Not exactly vintage but not grungy either-  the type of old that makes you feel nostalgic for something you never even experienced. 


Maybe you can identify with me better with this one...
I am an avid collector of old books, some of which I'll never get around to reading. 
I have records with my favourite songs from the 40's-80's- for a record player that I do not yet own. 
Most of all, film photography...for which I own multiple cameras with settings that I still not know how to use. 

When it comes to style old is something I have always been drawn to; if it not be knit sweaters, 60's cinched waists, or 70's bell cut jeans... everything I find myself picking up in a shop always carries a time period along with it. 

I found some of the best stores to cater to my ever growing obsession and unquenchable desire for vintage-looking clothing without the blinding prices are those who market themselves in such a way that they do not limit themselves to fast fashion.

I live by a couple of rules when shopping or else I would be lost for hours in a store diving deep into debt for various pairs of light wash jeans and tweed jackets...

1) The high-low rule

My favourite rule of them all... IF you're going to invest in a piece that is hurting your wallet... balance it out with basics that are within your price range... plus, white t-shirts get filled with coffee stains anyways.

2) Is it actually comfortable to spend all day in?

I literally refuse to wear clothing that is going to have me itching, unbuttoning, or fixing all day long; if you feel uncomfortable, you probably look it too.

3) Is this going to sit in my closet?

I usually apply this rule to clothing of the coloured variety; I do not wear too many bright colours, and if I do I spend all day wondering if people are really starring at me for wearing yellow or if I have something in my hair. Thus, if it is yellow and you NEVER wear yellow, then go ask yourself number 3... a few time before you hit the cash register.



Some stores to check out are: Free people, Club monaco and Arthur apparel, just to name some of my favourites. 


The Men's Section, Club Monaco on Bloor Street, Toronto. 







Comments